Wednesday, July 29, 2020

When Fictional Stories Are In The News



For some reason, I love this meme that comes out of stories in the news. As I said when I reshared this meme on Facebook "Today's best use of classical art to represent the news."

Now I frequently post about the power of imagination, and this past Monday wrote about using dreams (both sleeping dreams and daydreams) to help reframe our lives. I believe in magic if sometimes only Arthur C. Clarke's "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

I love to daydream and write and explore other universes. But I also know this is not where I would seek medical information. Fictional stories are not medical diagnoses. 

So finding an individual who seems to have heard too many stories, read too many stories, and has gotten the stories and reality so blurred they can no longer see the difference is problematic. 

Using fantasy and the fantastical to give voice to your own experiences can be very useful. Sometimes using such language can help reframe a situation: Such as instead of seeing something as too challenging to try, seeing it as a quest you are on, and paying attention to who is in your fellowship. Sometimes such language simply makes life more interesting. 

While I can clearly find the humor in this whole news story I am also struggling with fiction being used in this way, by someone whose ideas are going to harm others because they are not medically sound. But then I have to remember anything can be used in the wrong way. But boy 2020 keeps throwing us all curveballs. Bless its heart. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas and experiences of this topic.

Please read: Adventures Of A Dreaming Ace: Code Of Conduct before posting.

By posting you are agreeing to follow this blogs Code of Conduct otherwise your comment may be deleted .