Monday, July 13, 2020

Connecting To Community During COVID


I have to admit that this season of COVID has led to me feeling more connected to my wider community. This means more connected with the roommates I live with. This means more connected to others in my apartment building. This means more connected to the people who are my neighbors.

I have found since we all are spending more time at home I am "seeing" more of my neighbors. Much of this seeing is through my windows. This month I have also decided to start to take daily walks to get out of my apartment every day. (Pre-COVID I made it a point to leave every day, during the hight of COVID I got out every 1-2 weeks instead)

On these walks, I am seeing more of my neighborhoods and getting a different feel for who lives in my neighborhood. Before COVID I spent so much time in the wider City of Chicago I spent little time exploring my own backyard.

Though I have lived here for almost a decade I am finding 2020 has deepened my connection to my local context. I am seeing how the local context can have a major impact on us all. (I recommend anyone who is able to, go for a daily walk to really see the houses and flowers and birds, and butterflies and even sometimes neighbors you would not otherwise see.)

Take the opportunities and challenges that 2020 keeps bringing and find ways to use such moments to deepen your connection to community. Your household community, your neighborhood community, your faith tradition community, your communities that are only found online. Take the time to build community so you have a network when you are struggling or if you feel alone.




1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more! I've really enjoyed feeling more connected to our neighbors and seeing more of our neighborhood during leisurely walks--not rushing to get somewhere.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas and experiences of this topic.

Please read: Adventures Of A Dreaming Ace: Code Of Conduct before posting.

By posting you are agreeing to follow this blogs Code of Conduct otherwise your comment may be deleted .