Friday, July 10, 2020

What Is America's Idenity?


What Is America's Identity? Whose voices are heard? Not heard? Whose stories are valued? These are questions that we are all asking as a nation right now. How do we validate the truth #BlackLivesMatter? How can we deconstruct white supremacist systems?

I explored some of these issues in a poem I wrote 3 years ago but that is still relevant:

7/10/17

This Summer I am Shadow Moon
Or maybe a reflection of him
Reflected through another point of view
But yet on my own journey

As Mr. Wednesday said

“This is the only country in the world that wonders what it is.
I mean, no one wonders about the heart of Norway
Or goes searching for the soul of Mozambique.
Mozambique knows what it is. They all know what they are”

As Mr. Wednesday said

“Did you make snow?
Well, if you choose to believe you made snow,
then you get to live the rest of your life believing that you can do things that are impossible"

As Mr. Wednesday said

“So you didn't believe till you did,
and then the world changed because you believed.”

Who is America to you?
Where do you find her?
What Gods do you worship?
Hang out with? Drink tea with?
Drink other drinks with?
Are they from the old lands?
From the new lands?
Or from lands in between?
Which of their stories
Should I read on this journey?
What myths should I believe?
Recommendations wanted

I would say this is a moment where we are all exploring what it means to be American. What is the soul of this country? How do we live up to our highest hopes when we live within systems that perpetuate oppression and discrimination based on race, on gender, and gender expression, on sexuality? What impossible things do we need to believe in?

I wrote this poem 3 years ago but I am still seeking the heart of America and my role here. I am exploring how I can take responsibility for this country I have always called home. Each person has a different idea of what America is, what America should be. I am taking the time to understand what that means for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas and experiences of this topic.

Please read: Adventures Of A Dreaming Ace: Code Of Conduct before posting.

By posting you are agreeing to follow this blogs Code of Conduct otherwise your comment may be deleted .