Sunday, April 23, 2023

Exploring Being Autistic Through Books Part 3

 

This month in honor on Autism Acceptance Month I will be reading various autistic books
My plan is to blog about the books I read each week on Fridays.

This week I just got to one Autism Acceptance Month and am giving myself the grace to say that is ok.


The Heart Principle by Helen Hoang

I could relate to the main character on several levels. The story felt like one of the most realistic stories I have seen in a romance novel and I think if I ever did try dating I would be as awkward at it as Anna was when she first tried. (It was not the classic I visit a small town and somehow run into a couple dozen princes like most romance stories) Watching documentaries about octopuses together feels much more realistic. In some ways this was a classic romance and in some ways it was more a story of the heaviness of caregiving and the challenges of being ourselves around family.

I also really appreciated that this story covered autistic burnout where everything feels like an impossible task, feelings of being expected to be perfect, and the real costs of masking. It is also nice to see an adult female identified individual being diagnosed with autism. We need more such fiction stories and this was a welcome change of pace from the non-fiction I have been reading about being autistic this month.

I will say there were a few parts I just skimmed since I don't handle relationship drama well as well as a few other bits that were too focused on sex (But I know not everyone happens to be ace :) ) but over all I enjoyed this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas and experiences of this topic.

Please read: Adventures Of A Dreaming Ace: Code Of Conduct before posting.

By posting you are agreeing to follow this blogs Code of Conduct otherwise your comment may be deleted .