Friday, February 19, 2021

Tradition and Comfort

 



As I start this season of Lent with several daily tasks, consider what books I want to read, and what other activities I want to do during this period, I am finding I am reaching for tradition and comfort. 

  • Rereading a book I was introduced to by a high school English teacher 
  • Rereading books that I picked up when I was in Namibia for Peace Corps
  • Reading a book that was my mom's which she gave me several years ago.
  • Reading several classic texts
  • Trying my hand at the whole "Fishy Friday's for Lent" (Not meatless because fish is still meat no matter what some traditions say :) )

I am doing somethings like reading Eastertide by Phyllis Tickle which is a personal tradition for Lent, and reaching to prayers and activities that are traditional for others but which I have never really done much with.  

I am also finding that the books I am planning to read are not as diverse as I usually would make sure my books are. While I could choose to be upset with myself instead I am recognizing that right now is a moment that I feel drawn to both tradition (traditional things for me and tradition is a bigger broader sense) and things that are bringing me comfort. 

I am forgiving myself for reaching for comfort right now instead of intense theological debates and exploration. I will continue to read diverse books when Lent is done and make sure the year on balance is filled with more diverse books than non-diverse books but I also recognize that after a year of COVID it is normal to want to reach for comfort instead of challenge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas and experiences of this topic.

Please read: Adventures Of A Dreaming Ace: Code Of Conduct before posting.

By posting you are agreeing to follow this blogs Code of Conduct otherwise your comment may be deleted .