Monday, February 13, 2023

Why Is Love Being So Commercialized?

 
I will start with:
  • I Love "Love" in all its forms philia, pragma, storge, eros, ludus, mania, philautia and agape. 
  • I Love that February is a month where we focus on love including focusing on self love, loving our communities, and yes even loving other individuals.
  • I love purples and pinks, candy and chocolate, stuffed animals and candles

So to be clear I am not against Love. BUT as I have been wandering the last few days the fact that many stores look like they were taken over by "love tribbles" who have eaten all the quadrotriticale that they could ever want feels somehow.

Now typically I don't wander in until the great 1/2 of candy day on the 15th but this year feels like valentine's day has gotten really really commercialized. Not just a chocolate cover strawberry display or two etc. but taking up multiple aisles with flowers, balloons, candy, and expensive stuffed animals. 

Now if this is how you want to celebrate love go ahead. There is nothing wrong with going big, going wild, or going bold. But this Wentworth Miller quote from a speech years ago at oxford does get to the fact that self care, self love or any other type of love can be done in small but meaningful ways too

Another thing is self-care. Just moments where I am doing what I need to do to make sure that I vibrate at the right frequency that might look like burning some sage, that might look like dinner out with a friend, that might look like a bath with Epsom salts – just the things that I need to do for myself that are small, doable, affordable, that nourish me. I think often we neglect ourselves, we focus on things in the external, but there’s a lot here (gestures towards his chest) that needs attention.

Love is wonderful and Love does not have to be commercialized. Love does not have a price tag. Love does not mean more if it is brightly colored. So I am wishing you all more Love in what ever form would be the most comforting, the most empowering, the most meaningful for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas and experiences of this topic.

Please read: Adventures Of A Dreaming Ace: Code Of Conduct before posting.

By posting you are agreeing to follow this blogs Code of Conduct otherwise your comment may be deleted .