Friday, February 17, 2023

Exploring Black History Month Via Books Part 3


Supporting Black Authors through exploring their books and hearing their stories feels like something meaningful to do for Black History Month. I plan to read a combination of nonfiction, fiction, and short works. Each Friday in February I plan to post here about what I have read. I hope some of these stories pique your interest and inspire you to support black creators this month.


7. Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid (Fiction)

This book is part of a book discussion group at my local branch of the library. I am glad that the library picked this book because it was good but probably not the type of story I would have picked up otherwise. (Also means this review is a bit longer)

I found the character I most related to was Briar who to me felt like she was neurodivergent (while there was no official label given it appeared she was dealing with sensory issues, struggled with changes, and needed to understand why she was being asked to do something.)

Next I related to Emira in often being at a different stage of my life compared to my peers, not wanting professional relationships to get too chummy, and in general not being sure where I want to go in life

While I am a white female identified individual I really struggled with the character of Alix and her treatment of Emira. She seems to feel like she could get away with almost anything because she thought she was looking after the best interests of Emira but if it had been the husband that pulled half of what Alix did it would have clearly labeled as gaslighting and emotional abuse by everyone.

Your babysitter is not your property, you do not control them when they are not working, you don't get to judge who they are dating, or refuse to listen to them because you think you know their story better than they know their own. And the pièce de résistance when someone tells you No, you listen to them and don't think well they are 25, not enough of a go getter, and I would want x so clearly I need to do x even though they said NO. NO means NO (in all aspects of life) 


8. 1919 by Eve L. Ewing (Short Work: Poems)

This was a fascinating collection of poems based on a 1922 government report about the 1919 Chicago race riots. The collection also included photos from the time.  


9. Content Warning: Everything by Akwaeke Emezi (Short Work: Poems)

This was a cool collection of poems. I especially liked "What if Jesus was my big brother", "But why did you feel you had to kill yourself, baby lobe?", and "What if Magdalene seduced me?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas and experiences of this topic.

Please read: Adventures Of A Dreaming Ace: Code Of Conduct before posting.

By posting you are agreeing to follow this blogs Code of Conduct otherwise your comment may be deleted .