Friday, September 3, 2021

Honoring All Of Our Labor


Labor Day is a holiday which can bring up a lot of emotions especially for anyone who:
  • Is underemployed or are unemployed
  • Finds themselves giving their labor to something not meaningful
  • Finds themselves giving their labor to an toxic workplace/manger
  • Finds themselves working for someone is not putting their health and safety first (such as refusing to require vaccinations or masks.) 
  • Finds that the labor they give is not credited because it is non-traditional
This poem I wrote back 2014 gets at some of the complexity of labor and labor day for so many of us. And while my situation has changed since 2014 the main themes have remained the same:

A Labor Day Poem: What gets me up in the morning

By Dreaming Ace

I never thought of Labor day
As an emotion filled Holiday
But for us who are without work
Sometimes all we feel are the sling and arrows
Of discouragement and disappointment

I often struggle in the articulating what I am passionate about
But I realize despite this my life is indeed filled with passion
I am Passionate about the Fundamentals
The Fundamentals of Life
Love and Story and Beauty and Joy
In all their many forms

And you asked what gets me up in the morning
There are so many answers
An ever changing Kaleidoscope
And I thank the heavens for that truth

I get up in the morning for People
For Friends who stand quietly by my side
For Historical Figures and Famous Individuals whom I shall never meet in person
For Characters who I will always know better then myself and will always know me in return

I get up in the morning for Places
For HC, and Chicago, and the TARDIS
These will always be my sister, mother, child
Always be my friends forever

I get up in the morning for Things
For Music, and Books, and Films
For Dancing and Walking and Dreaming
For all the Millions of Magical Moments which Touch my Soul

So while I can not tell you
In this moment of time
My Work, My Vocation, My Job
And while there will always be moments
I forget the bright stars shining within me
Day by Day I will place one foot in front of the other
On and On and On until forever
And give life and time
The space it needs to inspire


So this labor day take a moment to think about all those who have brought us this holiday, and a moment to consider how you are using your own labor. I hope you have a restful and meaningful Labor Day. 

(And in honor of the holiday I won't write a blog post on Monday, but I'll be back on Wednesday)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas and experiences of this topic.

Please read: Adventures Of A Dreaming Ace: Code Of Conduct before posting.

By posting you are agreeing to follow this blogs Code of Conduct otherwise your comment may be deleted .