Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Judas Needs Sympathy and Kindness

 


Judas is a character highlighted during Holy Week who really needs a Hug. He is often seen as one of the villains of the tale but I see him more as a tragic figure and I am not the only one (see Jesus Christ Superstar).

Going into this week his friend Jesus talks all kind of what must have sounded like nonsense about having to die, and not always being there etc. (I mean if anyone today spoke like Jesus did they would likely be diagnosed with major depression and suicidal ideation because without the end of the story and Easter what he said made zero sense) None of his found family of disciples really knew what to do with him other than to be like oh you will always be here. In addition Jesus had just marched into Jerusalem and I assume Judas could see that was just asking for trouble. 

I can imagine Judas being like Jesus is a danger to himself and others. I do not know what Jesus has planned but this whole thing is getting dangerous. I can imagine Judas going I have to do something to help my friend and after some thought thinking that the religious leaders might all things aside help Jesus if only so that they themselves would not become the targets of Rome.

So using modern day language Judas asks the cops to do a wellness check on Jesus because he sounded like a danger to himself and maybe send him to an inpatient clinic for a few days so things could blow over. But then (and like all to often today) such a wellness check leads to death instead of wellness.

And when it came time for the Kiss I could see Judas saying Jesus you need help, I am here for you but you need help, and giving the kiss as a reminder of his Love. And if this happened to be true, then Judas would not be the first or last person who tried to get help for a friend who was suffering and ending up the bad guy in the tale.

I can see Judas playing a role like Deadpool when dealing with a women having a mental health crisis in Deadpool #20 by Gerry Duggan.

Deadpool: ...I’m smart enough to known I’m dumb enough that I can’t help you. But they can.
Woman: You promised to let me go!
Deadpool: I am. This is where you and I part ways. I’ve been texting the staff. They’re expecting you.
Woman: What if I don’t want to go inside? Are you going to make me?
Deadpool: I -- I dunno. I don’t think I’ll have to because … I think you want to walk in. Will you walk in with me? Plus, maybe we can visit all the elderly people I accidentally beat up. Listen I don’t think you’re crazy. You just need a little help, and I am NOT the guy to help you. (Duggan, 2016)

Now after the fact the gospels editorialize and make it clear that religious officials were up to no good from the beginning but without hindsight it seems possible that no one really understood that these leaders would be willing to sacrifice one of their own. Again using modern language knowing that calling the cops is often dodgy and a bad idea but also believing/hoping that sometimes when the cops are called unarmed civilians are not going to be killed.

Now Judas made a bad call trusting the religious leaders but I can have sympathy for him because I could see him as being caught up in the moment, trying to do his best, having it all go wrong, and having the guilt hang over his head for the rest of his short life before he dies by suicide. 

Or in the word of Leslie Odom Jr when he was speaking about Burr but could completely be used to describe Judas too:

None of us wants to be judged by our worst act on our worst day, and we consistently judge Burr for that. He was not a perfect man, but he's not a villain. He's a dude, just a guy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas and experiences of this topic.

Please read: Adventures Of A Dreaming Ace: Code Of Conduct before posting.

By posting you are agreeing to follow this blogs Code of Conduct otherwise your comment may be deleted .