Sunday, July 10, 2016

Summer Reading and Summer Book Bingo




This summer the Chicago Public Library has a reading challenge for adults called "Summer Book Bingo" which can be found at https://www.chipublib.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2016/06/Summer-Book-Bingo.pdf. (And I am counting this blog as my "Tell a friend" free space :) ) This program is in addition to a whole range of activities for kids around the theme "Explore on the Go".

I already have been reading a wide range of books this summer. After the tragedy of Orlando I wanted to gain a better understanding of LGBTQA history and where my own Ace Identity fits within the wider LGBTQA narrative. I will be reading 6 or 7 books I selected from this list: http://flavorwire.com/408340/25-essential-works-of-lgbt-non-fiction. While I have several of these books waiting for me when I get back from vacation I have already read the following this summer:

A Queer History of the United States

An historical account which looks at the interplay between Gender, Sexuality, Race and Various Outside Social Concerns and how each effected how the LGBTQ community was seen, understood, and represented by itself and others. 

Beyond Paradise: The Life of Ramon Novarro

A Biography of one of the  early major Mexican Silent Film stars who also was Gay. An interesting picture of the complexities of being a silent and later talking film star

Now I also plan to do a cover all Bingo Board and have been working to figure out where the books I already have read fit on the board. I think this is a fun challenge to read books in categories I would not have otherwise read this summer. Take this as a challenge to read a little more this summer.  Or pick a topic to do an independent study of a topic. Share what you have read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas and experiences of this topic.

Please read: Adventures Of A Dreaming Ace: Code Of Conduct before posting.

By posting you are agreeing to follow this blogs Code of Conduct otherwise your comment may be deleted .