Saturday, July 31, 2021

Take 5: Exploring Local Galleries

 

Jim Rose: Two Door Basket Weave Quilt Cupboard
(Gallery Victor Armendariz) 

Friday afternoon the weather was nice and cool so I went to explore the River North Gallery District since I have not been in a gallery in probably two years at this point for obvious reasons. (Though it is also in part all Talk Art's Fault for getting me on an Art kick LOL)

Talk Art has helped me appreciate art in galleries (and museums but that is next week's adventure) on new levels. I used to go mainly for occasional openings aka for the cheese and crackers and veggie trays LOL, and years ago to fill in my summer activity lists when I was trying to go/do/see 100 things over the course of the summer. And often found I just did not understand a lot of the contemporary art, I mean it was fine but did not sear itself into my mind or soul or anything.

This time through I went to get ideas for poems, put what I have learned via Talk Art into action, and to better understand what art draws me in. (I did take notes so many of the gallery owners thought I was there for a school project and I had to explain nope I am just taking notes for myself) 

One poem which has already come from today's adventure:

7/30/21 a

The echoes of art through time
A photo in a now long gone gallery
A boy with self harm scars on the wall

A photo in a now long gone gallery
I felt its echoes in other galleries
That now live in the same building

Why that photo? Why do I remember?
Now years and years after the fact?
Maybe because I saw the boy’s story*

Wondered if others would understand
The significance of what they saw

An understanding I had gained from
Other art, The Art called fanfiction

Art touches us all, our souls and spirits
And that photo made my heart ache

For all those lost to hurt or pain or sorrow
A photo in a now long gone gallery
The echoes of art through time

* An understanding I got from the stories of others NOT personal experience

So here is a play by play of where I explored today and when some of the pieces of art that caught my eye were online I am adding the art. (Clearly I did not make the art or take the photos :) ) In addition when my map etc. gave extra info I am sharing that too but many did not have such info.

Stop 1 Gallery Victor Armendariz: "The gallery exhibits compelling contemporary art in a variety of media by both established and emerging artists. Focusing on figurative art, museum quality works of Realism and Studio Furniture, including that of renowned steel furniture maker Jim Rose."

I really like the art in this gallery. Currently they have an Wet Paint Exhibit (which is focusing on new works). 

I enjoyed the Chris Hill sculptures such as Nightfall Dreams, Looking Back, and The Shortest Distance

Chris Hill: Night Fall Dreams
(Gallery Victor Armendariz) 

I also enjoyed the Christina Haglid's paintings of what looked like round illuminated lanterns floating on dark night time waters. 


Christina Haglid: Ocean Carrier
(Gallery Victor Armendariz) 

I also enjoyed the works by Jesús Curiá Perez, and the bright sculptures of Robert Segal.


Jesús Curiá Perez: Nintius
(Gallery Victor Armendariz) 

(In this case the one I saw was Atlante and Construction II but the above is close)


Robert Segal: Silent Hollow
(Gallery Victor Armendariz)

Stop 2: Zg Gallery

I enjoyed Duk Ju L. Kim's "Heaven", a bunch by Renee McGinnis such as "Flight of steal", "East Sheridan", "Lily", and "Santa Cruz", Justine Henry Miller's "Flight Plans" and "Bull Relic" (which looked like people to me, and Amy Casey's "Lonely Time"

Stop 3: Vale Craft Gallery "Contemporary American fine craft objects and sculpture. Works in clay fiber, metal, glass and wood"

I enjoyed the works by Doug DeLind, Chet Geiselman, the what look like fishes made of found materials by Stephen Palmer, and the three Girasol works by Linny Coale Freeman


In this gallery I was not sure who the artists were (the works had signatures but no easy to read cards next to the art) but I liked the works on the main floor and the ones on the second floor that to be looked like looking under different colored waters.


This gallery had a collection of interesting and wide ranging art. I enjoyed the butterfly wings by Amy Perlmutter and Soul Meets Sky by Bonnie Star

Stop 6: Hilton!Asmus Contemporary "Specializing in modern and contemporary paintings, works on paper, mixed media and sculpture with a special focus on photography. featuring internationally known artists from the United States , Northern Europe, and the Mediterranean region"

When I went in this gallery I remembered past trips there since they still had the amazing photos of David Yarrow which capture wild animals, or place wild animals in other settings like a lion slowly walking down a bar. 


I liked the works by Ronald Clayton and Brooks Anderson.


Ok I thought these were just some random flowers but looking at their website I realize that they are actually works made with smoke and fire which is pretty cool.


Even though the gallery should have been open the door did not seem to open so I just looked at the works through the window. They were large scale circus themed works and I was running out of gallery energy so it worked out well in the end.

So this afternoon I got to 8 or 9 galleries depending on how you count them. :) I am glad I decided to go on my own gallery tour (there will also be a formal river north tour in fall which I may attend depending on what else is happening in the world.) 

If you are in Chicago check out these galleries and if you are somewhere else look for your own local galleries. Galleries are wonderful because they are free art museums you can enjoy.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas and experiences of this topic.

Please read: Adventures Of A Dreaming Ace: Code Of Conduct before posting.

By posting you are agreeing to follow this blogs Code of Conduct otherwise your comment may be deleted .