Monday, January 28, 2019

The Weight of Films: Black Panther


My roommate and I have a tradition of seeing superhero movies together. Last year we were really excited for Black Panther, and went and saw it opening weekend. We fell in love with the film. Together we explored the political theories behind the various character's views, and became absorbed in learning about the intention behind everything in the film: costumes, colors, fighting styles, ..... 

Personally, I also used the film as motivation for a reading challenge to read books by non-white-male authors. I read authors I had not read before and discovered some cool anthologies such as:


When Black Panther went to Netflix I was excited because it meant some of my family and friends who had not seen it in theaters had their chance. I knew some were not big superhero film fans but I felt that Black Panther was different enough they would enjoy it. I was wrong.
Person A: It was just another superhero film, not that original, too many battles, too many special effects, I was not impressed 
Person B: But we watched a different movie than she* did, we watched a superhero film, she* watched a history and cultural film
And I realized this was true. We had seen two different types of films and had two different reactions to those films. And I recognized that part of what made Black Panther amazing for so many was the truth it was "just another superhero film". But in most superhero films, POC are an afterthought, or find themselves in token roles, in Black Panther they were able to star.

I was reminded of this when I found out Black Panther was up for the Oscars. I am glad it was chosen to be the first superhero film nominated for best picture, I am glad that it opened peoples imaginations to new stories and new authors. And I know there are many out their who will not understand why because they see it as "just another superhero film". But I also recommit myself to keep doing the work of exploring and learning and working to better understanding the experience of others. And that is a pretty good call of action from a superhero film. Break a leg at the Oscars Black Panther.

*Referring to me Dreaming Ace


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas and experiences of this topic.

Please read: Adventures Of A Dreaming Ace: Code Of Conduct before posting.

By posting you are agreeing to follow this blogs Code of Conduct otherwise your comment may be deleted .