Wednesday, September 7, 2022

A Gentle Vision Of What Could Be

 

As I posted on Goodreads: This was a wonderful little book which reminds you to slow down and ponder questions such as what do we need as individuals and communities, what other and better ways could we structure our society, as well as wisdom such as "You're don't have to earn rest or comfort. You're allowed to just be" while also holding space for the characters to say "But I don't feel like it is true, for me. I feel like it's true for everyone else but not me.

For example, in this story instead of a traditional currency there are "Pebs" (that represent that someone got something of value from you vs. used in direct trade, in some ways they are community level thank you notes) that are more an indication of how well someone is doing within community instead of a punitive means to keeps people from having their basic needs met.

“You’re saying that instead of a system of currency that tracks individual trade, you have one that facilitates exchange through the community. Because … all exchange benefits the community as a whole?” (p34-35)

"Everybody has a negative balance from time to time, for lots of reasons. That's fine. That's part of the ebb and flow. But if someone had a huge negative ... well, that says they need help. Maybe they're sick. Or stuck. Maybe they've got something going on at home. Or maybe it's just one of those times where they need other people to carry them for a while. That's okay everybody ends up there sometimes. If I saw a friends balance and it was way in the red, I'd make a point in checking in (p36)

I love the idea that there is a system that creates natural check-ins with your friends and neighbors. I know there are times where I would be in the red for "Pebs" and it would be a wonderful universe if in those cases someone knew to check-in since those moments are easy to get lost in. 

I also love the honesty of the characters towards the end of the story.

"Do you remember what you said when we were there, about how nothing needs a purpose? How all living things are allowed to just exist and we don't have to do more than that?

Mosscap nodded. "I do, yes."

Dex press their lips together. "That's the heart of my faith, Mosscap. That is what I am saying to everyone who comes to my table. I say it out loud, all the f*cking time. You don't have to have a reason to be tired. You don't have to earn rest or comfort. You're allowed to just be. I say the that wherever I go." They threw a hand towards their wagon its wooden sides emblazoned with Summer bear. "It's painted on the side of my home! But I don't feel like it's true, for me. I feel like it's true for everyone else but not for me. I feel like I have to do more than that. Like I have to have a responsibility to do more than that." (p140-141)

I find I have more than once or twice felt like Dex does where I know how to comfort. listen to, be there for someone else but struggle with others comforting, listening to, to being there for me or being those things for myself. (Like what Wentworth Miller talked about when talking about how to talk to yourself, though in this case it is less how I talk to myself and more how I act with myself)

There is something both comforting and challenging about having others have those same feelings especially when those others live in a functional utopia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas and experiences of this topic.

Please read: Adventures Of A Dreaming Ace: Code Of Conduct before posting.

By posting you are agreeing to follow this blogs Code of Conduct otherwise your comment may be deleted .