Friday, August 5, 2022

C2E2 Day 1 Review (2022)

 

Today I went as "Jörmungandr’s Proud Papa Loki Variant"

Well Day 1 of C2E2 got off to an stressful start when I dropped my phone somewhere when I was just outside or entering the building. It was eventually returned to lost and found so I have it now but it was quite stressful. I am really more addicted to my phone than I thought because without it I did not know the time nor did I have the schedule of panels etc., because C2E2 is all app based right now aka no paper schedules to grab nor could I listen to some calming classical music to pause and relax. So the first half of the day went by in a stress infused haze. 


While still unsure if my phone would ever be found I ended up buying a emotional support fidget dragon from pyegames. There have been several years where I have avoided spending anything at C2E2 (besides my ticket to get in of course) but felt like I could use a dragon to calm down. It was reasonably priced and since I got it before my phone was returned (I had checked in lost and found 2 times already at that point) maybe the dragon found my phone so it could hoard it or hoard me?


I have to say since most of the major publishers (Marvel/DC/Various Major Publishing Houses) were not in attendance there seemed to be less free stuff. We will see tomorrow if that is indeed because there is less stuff or just because my mind was elsewhere. 


Some big pirate anime thing. I don't know the details but figured it was picture worthy. 

Panels Etc.

Mutant and Proud: Why The X-Men are so Important
  • All about found family 
  • There are a lot more X-Men than I thought there were (Though I think many of those that were referenced were from the comics not the "Picard Professor X" original movies)
  • Nightcrawler sounds like an really interesting character "The struggle to be a man of faith when no one wants you to be one"
  • A multiverse story changes how you see the original universe 
  • With absolute power comes a challenge to connect/bond with others
  • Women in X-Men often dominate
  • I loved one view that Cyclops is Autistic as in his can't look anyone in the eye, he has trouble navigating relationships, does not do well with change ... (Again I don't know that much about the X-Men so I don't know if Autism is a good fit or not but right now I just love anytime Autism is mentioned)
I Love the 90's

This was a random little 90's dance party, and we all ended up with small 90's gift bags filled with a few odds and ends (a magazine and a DVD) from the 90's. I also found someone else with a fidget dragon so there was fidget dragon dancing going on.

Making Specialty Costumes and Props For TV and Film 
w/ Professional costume and prop makers Ian Campbell and Robin Careless 

Ian and Robin were clearly so and so's (aka famous people I don't know are famous before hand) and had worked on lots of shows that I have heard of some of the star trek tv shows, American Gods I think, etc. This was an interesting talk about costumes and props. Loved how they focus on the human aspect of costumes like can the actor eat, pee, etc. or how to manage when an actor is claustrophobic but signed up for a show that involves wearing large masks.

Comic Books: A Literary Tool for social emotional learning

Team Psychocomicology discussed the many ways that comics can be used for social emotional learning. Everything from the power of pictures and colors to communicate to how to use comics as teachers. It was interesting but I was hoping for tips on how to use comics for my own social emotional growth but it was manly focused on kids so I would have to adapt the suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas and experiences of this topic.

Please read: Adventures Of A Dreaming Ace: Code Of Conduct before posting.

By posting you are agreeing to follow this blogs Code of Conduct otherwise your comment may be deleted .