Saturday, January 25, 2020

Pete, Protest, and Belonging


I had the opportunity to go to Mr. Pete Buttigieg's campaign event today. (This summer I had the opportunity to go to an event with his husband which was also really impressive) It is hard to describe, it is like a presence which deep in your soul you know will always have your back and will always be by your side no matter what you are struggling with.

During the event today, there were protesters. I have been part of community organizing campaigns and understand diverse tactics are needed in any campaign but I felt the protester's outrage overran any clear messaging.

The first group started shouting in the middle of the event, wanting to discuss policing in South Bends. Pete first acknowledged the individuals who were protesting and said that he respected them and their protest but to also please respect the format of the event. (Those of us who were attending had submitted questions in advance and they were randomly pulled for him to answer, this was not an event where questions were being taken from the floor).

When this did not work Pete was able to pivot on the spot and allowed them to ask their question so that the event could continue. The question was not clear or concise (and the protesters did not have facts such as names correct) but Pete responded well, it was clear that the Eric Logan case is deeply personal for him.

Pete shared he and his office arranged community meetings around issues of safety and policing but he chose not to be physically present at those conversations because he knew that the conversations between all the various community actors would not have been productive if they were under a presidential media spotlight. You can't have hard conversations and process if anything you say might end up on the front page.

I was also impressed because once again he publically discussed and took responsibility for his own failures and political struggles as Mayor, which is really refreshing since most politicians have to do a song and dance and monologue and another song and dance before trying to sweep something under the run. Pete is wise, self-aware, and knows his own limitations, and is ready to reach out to those who have more knowledge or expertise in an area.

A second protest message was taken up after Pete was leaving the stage, so I did not see Pete's response but I know my own response to the chants of "Where is Gay Pete?" My first thoughts were what do they mean? and would my own Ace identity "count"? What counts and what does not count in terms of identity?

(This was at the forefront of my mind because of a recent situation where a celebrity came out as Ace (Adding it to their twitter summary, adding a bunch of asexual links, and tweeting "Aces -- It's the real me") but Wikipedia is refusing to accept the change made on their page because it is "unclear" what the celebrity means, and they want media coverage as "proof" before the page is changed)

I am not clear on what this second group of protestor's message was trying to convey. What policies or actions they were trying to criticize or bring attention to? What were they asking of Pete? Where did they think Pete's campaign needed to step up?

Instead of feeling like a policy or position issue, something which could be responded to it felt like they wanted him to somehow get a better grade on some Gay identity scorecard which is not how it works with any identity. Identity is not a multiple-choice test.

I know I personally felt that my own identity was being questioned and attacked by the protesters. Like I was being told that I was not good enough, that I was an imposter within my own identity. That while I was not the target of the protest I was still being told that I do not belong. This is one reason that protest tactics which are not connected to a clear ask can push people away. 

Pete often talks about belonging and the "Crisis of belonging" which has led to an increase in mental health issues and individuals self-medicating in unhealthy ways. Pete's campaign makes me feel like I belong in so many ways no matter what I am going through or struggling with. The tactics that were used by the protestors made me feel I did not belong, even within my own identities. Belonging. It all comes back to belonging.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas and experiences of this topic.

Please read: Adventures Of A Dreaming Ace: Code Of Conduct before posting.

By posting you are agreeing to follow this blogs Code of Conduct otherwise your comment may be deleted .