Monday, June 22, 2020

Dive Deeper: Exploring My Polish Historical-Cultural Heritage

Cooked By Lisa Rothman
Photo By Kris Adamik
Cooked By Lisa Rothman
Photo By Kris Adamik

(I consider my heritages historical-cultural because they were neither highlighted nor did I feel any connections to them growing up. I am exploring these heritages in part because I want to understand what "normal" experiences I had growing up which were really rooted in my various White cultural identities. As #BlackLivesMatter is being highlighted, I can't be my best collaborator if I don't know my own cultural background, and how that background has impacted me in unknown ways)

This story begins with episode 7 of Queer Eye season 5. In this episode, Antoni Porowski was amazingly excited to be able to prepare Polish food in his role as the shows food and wine expert. His excitement made me want to recommit to exploring my own historical-cultural heritage.

6/20/20

(Historical Culture Frames of Reference)

Watching Queer Eye tonight the universe gave me a nudge
A reminder, Yes I should explore my White cultural heritage
Antoni was so excited for Polish food, His cultural background
Reminds me there has to be coolness in my kaleidoscope
Of Polish, Swiss, German, 
Of Romanian, Russian, Austro-Hungarian, 
Of even some French
I mean I have some historical cultural connection to Antoni
I mean I have some historical cultural connection to Marquis de Lafayette
I mean I have some historical cultural connection to my family's friend Einstein
It is time to research these cultural identities 
To try some new foods or learn how to cook others
To better understand my various cultural strands
To better know the privileges and frames of reference I have inherited
So I do not stand wishing I was something that I am not
It is time to research my White cultural identities
Because if I don’t know my own historical reference points
I will be a weaker fighter against White Supremacy

So this week I have started with my Polish historical-cultural heritage. (In honor of Antoni Porowski/Queer Eye :) ) Yesterday I made Pierogi from scratch (see the photos above), using this recipe (Though my filling was what I randomly had on hand). They turned out really well.

While I don't remember having Pierogi growing up (and while I have had many similar foods not sure how often, if ever I have had Pierogi before), I did learn (Going back to Queer Eye) that foods I grew up with such as kielbasa are Polish (I also think some of the cookies I used to make with my grandparents were probably Polish).

My first foray into cooking dishes from my Historical-Cultural Heritage was a lot of fun and I look forward to continuing to do so in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas and experiences of this topic.

Please read: Adventures Of A Dreaming Ace: Code Of Conduct before posting.

By posting you are agreeing to follow this blogs Code of Conduct otherwise your comment may be deleted .