Thursday, February 15, 2024

Adding Devotions, Reflection, and Double Self-Love, For Lent

Yesterday was Ash Wednesday, which starts the wonderful season of Lent. Personally, I love Lent as a period of intentional self-reflection. 

(I love so much that I tend to do Elul, which is a similar period of self-reflection in the Jewish tradition, in late summer or early fall because one Lent season per year is not enough for me.)

I have rarely been someone who "gave something up" for Lent. For example, I have enough trouble eating at regular intervals and knowing what I want to eat (which is important because otherwise I just won't eat) that it would not be healthy to cut a food group out for Lent. 

I am someone who "adds something" for Lent. I will say I sometimes go overboard and add a dozen or so things, which really just overwhelms me in the end, so this year I am trying to add a paired-down list. I hope these give you a few ideas of things you could add for Lent this year.

Daily Devotions

While I plan on doing a couple daily devotions, the one I am most excited for so far is The Church of England’s Lent theme of Watch and Pray: Wisdom and Hope for Lent and Life. As the introduction to their Lent daily devotional said:

On the night he was betrayed, Jesus kneels in darkness in the Garden of Gethsemane. Though he pleads with his disciples, “Stay here with me... Watch and pray,” they all fall asleep, leaving him alone in his hour of deepest suffering. 
This Lent, all of us are encouraged to draw on the wisdom of Black Spirituality, particularly the practice of “tarrying” (waiting) as a community to draw closer to Jesus and to each other. Combining exuberant singing, fervent prayer, and quiet lament, such services typically take place at night and last somewhat longer than the “one hour” Jesus asked of those first followers.

Yes, I know it is a bit silly that I am leaning on the Church of England for this since I already go to a wonderful and amazing Black LGBTQA+ congregation, but my congregation tends not to do much around Lent or this type of Black Spirituality. Also, the Church of England's app makes it really easy to listen to each devotion. 

Reflecting Deeply on Devotions in My Journal

I also hope to use Lent as a period to reflect deeply on the ideas presented in the various daily devotions I do. For example, yesterday "Watch and Pray" ended with the suggestion to "Notice any feelings you might be afraid to deal with as we begin Lent," which, when placed in the context of a recent Queer Eye that I saw, led to some deep reflection, trying to be honest about what I am feeling and what I really need to move to a state of thriving.

Double self-love 

As part of my daily list of tasks, I already have a self-love category, but over time that has become simply having tea and going outside, which, while both are good for me and my mental health, I am planning on adding another self-love activity each day for Lent.

I think most, if not all, of these extra self-love tasks will end up being using/using up various body product samples I have collected, but that is a form of double self-love, giving my physical body self-love and giving my mind/soul self-love by using up stuff so I have less clutter and stress.  

For example, yesterday I used up a sample of some hydro-boost water cream I had gotten. 

Lent is a season for you

No matter how you might choose to celebrate Lent if you choose to do so, no matter what self-reflection you want to do this season, remember you are fundamentally an amazing human being. You will never have it all together or have it all right. Collectively we are humans and that is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas and experiences of this topic.

Please read: Adventures Of A Dreaming Ace: Code Of Conduct before posting.

By posting you are agreeing to follow this blogs Code of Conduct otherwise your comment may be deleted .