Sunday, April 24, 2016

Identity and Fandom: Part 2

Last week I discussed how I connect with fandom. 
I recommend, if you have not already done so, to read that post first.

(This Week's Warning: Mild language in materiel referenced)


Being a part of fandom is so intertwined with my identity that I forget that everyone does not feel as comfortable expressing it as I do. I love the above meme about outward expressions of our fandom. For me wearing something spotlighting one of my fandoms is indeed a way to start conversations. I may have no idea what to say to you when we meet but if we connect over a fandom the words come easier.

I have never been shy around expressing my shows. Just a few examples:

  • I have, on more then a handful of occasions, worn my Doctor Who fez and bow tie out and about: To the bank, To the Grocery Store, To Church. 
  • Last fall I bought a TARDIS zip up sweater is was labeled a "costume" piece but I have worn it almost everyday it has been cold since.
  • I now have 4 Supernatural (SPN) Shirts (3 of which are from various Always Keep Fighting Campaigns), a beanie, and a tote bag.

For me these outward expressions are both a way to interact with other people, and a security blanket of sorts. And I have had the opportunity to be surrounded by family and friends who understand the importance of fandom to my identity. But recently I was reminded that not everyone expresses there love of fandom in the same ways.

On this particular day I was wearing one of my Always Keep Fighting SPN T-shirts at work and someone in another department came up to me and said "Now I saw you halfway across the store, so I am not sure, but did I see you wearing a Supernatural Shirt?" We ended up having a 10 min conversation about the show and the fandom. One thing he said, that struck me was "Yea most people don't want to admit they are fans of Supernatural".

It was interesting because I had not really thought in terms of how a fandom like SPN was seen by others. I loved the show and the Supernatural Family. I loved Random Acts, and Always Keep Fighting, and You Are Not Alone. Of course I would proudly show my love. The SPN community jokes about how challenging it can be to explain the show to others


And how Supernatural has a GIF for everything including apple-eating llamas, toilet paper, life-ruining leaves, Angels caressing a pineapple, Bathing satan, Definite articles etc but I forgot that what makes us amazing and goofy and fun, might not be understood by others. I am able to see that we must look pretty strange to outsiders but on the other hand it brings me so much joy I would not want to stop being a fan. 

Going back to the C2E2 panel (from last weeks post) there was a suggestion that some fandoms are seen as more important or more valid by both mass cultural as well as other fans. I traditionally have gotten into shows with really dedicated fandoms which means that no matter the actual number of fans it feels like "everyone" is a fan. The way I see fandoms they are like favorite colors or favorite flavors of ice cream. Everyone can have a different favorite one since there is no right or wrong answers. Love the shows you love and don't pay attention to those who say what you love is wrong.

Next week I will explore the intersections between claiming a fandom for your identity while acknowledging that your fandom is problematic. (And yes ALL fandoms are problematic in some way so it is important to collectively reflect on what we love)

How have fandoms you been a part of been viewed? 
How have you viewed other fandoms? 
Comment below.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas and experiences of this topic.

Please read: Adventures Of A Dreaming Ace: Code Of Conduct before posting.

By posting you are agreeing to follow this blogs Code of Conduct otherwise your comment may be deleted .