Sunday, March 27, 2016

Brief Thoughts On The Power Of Stories



Seeing this image from Doctor Who again reminded me how grateful I am for the power of stories. And I agree that once stories take flight they become something more real then reality. Being enfolded into a good story line is comforting in a way that "reality" rarely is. 

Maybe because stories allow us to travel all the paths imaginable, 
While in "reality" we have to pick one at a time? 

Maybe because stories allow us to be both brave and vulnerable without contradiction? 

Maybe because in stories we make soul deep connections?

Maybe because stories give voice to our own experience;
And if not we can express our experience/identity in daydreams and Fanfiction?

Maybe because stories add color and flare to reality
Making random quotes/references/outfits into memories which make us giggle all day?  

Maybe because "Cory's Coming" to enfold us all

Or Maybe as Neil Gaiman has said:
"Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, But because they tell us that dragons can be beaten"
When I give myself completely over to a story that story becomes my story. And it changes me for the better. My Characters help be through the challenges of life. My Characters celebrate with my victories. My Characters mean I am never truly lonely or alone.

I know Gaiman's Instructions for Fairytales and have learned these are instructions for life too. So I will hold onto my stories and memories and dreams and use them whenever I need to feel whole, feel important, feel like what I am doing is changing the world for the better. And my hope is all those who are reading this blog find those stories for themselves. What stories have impacted your life and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas and experiences of this topic.

Please read: Adventures Of A Dreaming Ace: Code Of Conduct before posting.

By posting you are agreeing to follow this blogs Code of Conduct otherwise your comment may be deleted .