Sunday, May 15, 2016

Connecting with Writers: Robbie Thompson

This Post Contains Non Plot Spoilers for Supernatural

An poem I wrote on a different topic but applies to this weeks blog

A little over a week ago we learned as a fandom that Robbie Thompson will be moving on from his role as writer and co-executive producer of Supernatural. There has been a deep outpouring from fans, cast, and crew alike. As I processed his leaving, and read the stories of others, I stared to ponder why we feel connected to particular writers.

For me the connection with Robbie Thompson started last year at the DePaul Fan Studies Conference on Supernatural. I had watched 7 1/2 out of 10 seasons in the 2 months leading up to the conference. (In part this was because I had gotten Paul Booth, who runs the conference, to promise me a high five if I got through season 5. For future reference Paul Booth gives great high fives :) ).

The Guest of Honor happened to be Robbie Thompson. Honestly going in I did not really know him who he was. other then a co-executive producer for SPN. Then Robbie Thompson's keynote started and ran straight into his writing workshop/discussion. He spoke for what turned out to be over 3 hours and in the process he became one of my writing idols. He truly treated us all like brothers and sisters. He was insightful and vulnerable and honest. He spoke about SPN, writing in general, and about himself. And then the moment I will remember for a long long time: Telling him I was new to the show and was not yet caught up and having him tell me "Welcome to the Family". 


Robbie Thompson had never met me before that autograph but I felt he had seen me, understood a bit about me, and truly made me feel like he valued my experience and valued me as a person.

While it can be hard to pin down why we connect with certain creators over others, in the case of Robbie Thompson I think it is because he makes us feel loved, seen and appreciated. His writing advice was to "Write what you feel" and he is a master at "feeling" what others experience and going out of his way to validate those experiences. 

For example he wrote the 200th episode "Fan Fiction" which validated the importance of fans and which welcomed and celebrated all fans who creatively make the SPN Text and SPN Cannon our own. He highlighted that fans are amazing and powerful individuals, whose oddness and goofiness is what makes us fantastic and what makes us a family. 

Robbie Thompson is moving on to continue to work on 3 different series in the Spider Man Comic Multiverse. (Correction only 2 are in the Spider Man Multiverse. The 3 titles are: Venom: Space Knight, Spidey, and Silk) I do not know all the details, since it will take a while until they become trade paperbacks and available at my public library, but I know they are going to be pretty amazing. 

For example in a Panels Interview called Silk Goes To Therapy: An Interview With Robbie Thompson I learned that he is having one of the characters "Silk" regularly go to therapy to deal with the trauma which made her a superhero. The below is from part of that interview which captures how deeply he understands his characters and the fans of those characters. 
CPH: When Reed Richards first suggests she talks to Dr. Sinclair, Cindy is pretty reluctant. But then she gets a number of subtle suggestions that maybe it’s okay to reach out for help, and eventually Cindy calls to set up an appointment. Why was it important to show that initial reluctance and denial?
RT:Showing Cindy’s reluctance and then showing her actually going to therapy felt integral to making sure that decision felt authentic. It’s a moment that I think a lot of people initially have when it comes to therapy. I mean, when I needed help, I was in denial about it, thinking—therapy, shmerapy. And I’m the son of a therapist! I’m so grateful I went, but it took a while to get me there. So, we wanted to show the reality of that decision, and, while we’re not trying to be preachy, it was important to show therapy as a normal process, that shouldn’t have any shame or stigma associated with it. It’s normal to go to therapy, and it’s normal to resist going. But in the end: if you’re willing to do the work and you have a great therapist, it can help. I’ve benefited enormously from therapy over the years—it’s changed my life.
So returning to the poem I began this blog with I will Trust in Robbie Thompson and see what new adventure await. I will trust that we will meet once again if only in my daydreams. I will trust that Robbie Thompson will continue to inspire us.
To Our Dear Robbie Thompson
On your retirement from being a Hunter
In the SPN Universe

I met you at DePaul last year
And you amazed me
With kind words
“Welcome to the family”
And the writing advice you gave
“Write what you feel”

As we send you off to new adventures
On golden angel wings
Or maybe I should say on golden spider threads
I just want to remind you
You will always be a part of this family

You may be retiring from hunting
But we will always be your sisters and brothers
And remember as you go out and dream up big and bold and beautiful new things
You are Amazing
You are Fantastic
You are Wonderful

We will always remember when you danced with us
Across the skies of stories
Channeling characters like Charlie and Eileen
Giving expression to our passions and loves
Through a show called SPN

Go forth and do great thing
And know that we will ALWAYS Have Your Back
<<<<<Love>>>>>

by A Dreaming Ace 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas and experiences of this topic.

Please read: Adventures Of A Dreaming Ace: Code Of Conduct before posting.

By posting you are agreeing to follow this blogs Code of Conduct otherwise your comment may be deleted .